Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Who I voted for...

The inescapably annoying ads are done. The speeches promising everything, but committing to nothing are done. The one-liners are done. The debates where no one answers the questions asked are done. The attacks on character are done. The blogs of arguments, party-centric rage, humor, disgust, fear and general ambivalence are done. The incessant broadcast coverages are (almost) done. I'm done; I voted. And I cast my vote for...well, hold that thought for a moment.

I have the good fortune of sitting at this moment in Union Station, Washington D.C. I had a meeting this morning next door to the SEC and Federal Judiciary Building. No, I was not giving my messy perspective on the lousy sitcom manner in which the economic meltdown situation is being handled. I met with an amazing pastor, author, entrepreneur, leader, father and evolving friend and co-Kingdom conspirator; Mark Batterson. OK, here's a must read plug -- Right now get a copy of his two books -- In a Pit With a Lion on a Snowy Day and his newest book, Wild Goose Chase. He is a gifted dreamer, doer, goer, leader and communicator. After another of our series of "Whoa, this was a powerful and igniting meeting!" I told him I wanted to walk the Capitol area. He grinned, paused and pointed ahead and said, "Just walk that all the way down one side of the Mall, then up the other. You'll pass...everything."

Washington D.C. Election Day 2008. November 4, the trees looking like God spilled the remaining buckets of autumn's paints on this city. Change. Ending. Beginning.

OK, so here's how I cast my vote. I voted for:
Hope
Inclusion
Caring
Touching
Holding
Reconciliation
Listening
Hearing
Knowing
Perspective
Margin
Patience
Discernment
Humility
Favor
Grace
Faith
Freedom
The right to agree
The right to disagree
The right to vote
The right not to vote
Republicans
Democrats
Independents
Children with families
Children without families
The hopeful

The hopeless
The found
The lost
Muslims
Jews
Hindis
Atheists
Agnostics
Christians
For the Christians other Christians think are not really Christians
I voted for me.
I voted for you.


Read John 21:1-14.
Cast your vote on the other side.
Expereince the miracle.

C'mon. Join the party.




No comments: