Saturday, August 23, 2008

November 24, 2005

…for which to be Thankful

This year is the first time in 25 years of marriage, and for that matter my life, which I have not celebrated Thanksgiving with my immediate family. Instead, I am experiencing an odd gathering of guests; loneliness, reflection, solitude, emptiness, appreciation, peace, questioning, longing, warmth, ambiguity, love. I spent yesterday at the Nashville Rescue Mission serving lunch to people far less fortunate than me. As I say that, I wonder exactly what we mean when we refer to these kinds of people as less fortunate. Less fortunate than what? Than who? Jesus surrounded himself with all the broken people; the lost, the criminals, the prostitutes, the lame, the disheartened, the abandoned and the wounded. Through him they experienced a kind of richness unmeasured by gold or other physical “treasures” of the world. What struck me more than serving a hot turkey dinner to these people, was the graduation ceremony that was held earlier that morning for the men & women having completed the six-month program of rehabilitation from life on the streets. Eleven people who had come through the program received “Certificates of Completion” amidst encouraging cheers, love-filled heckling, standing ovations and celebratory tears. Each graduate had a moment to share their testimony with the audience, each one beginning by thanking an amazing God, without whose grace & love they would not be standing there today. They shared their naked stories of abandonment, drug addiction, crimes of violence, HIV infection, robbery, hatred. Still, they all expressed their indebtedness to God for answering their prayers; picking up their meaningless and valueless lives, and through the love and the encouragement of their newly found brothers & sisters they were able to find redemption. One comment in particular from the pastor leading the ceremony penetrated the walls of flesh. “Isn’t it a blessing and something for which to be thankful that God loves us much more than we can possibly ever love ourselves?”

And so on this day, having been rescued and fed by the graduates of the Nashville Rescue Mission, I am thankful:

· For God, who loves me unconditionally;

· For my children;

· For Valerie’s heart and the chance to give my love away to her. To love her well;

· For my mother, brother and sister;

· For this chance to speak into and participate in developing the spiritual heart of my sister and her family, and to see how God’s fragrance is opening them up like a morning rose;

· For the new brothers and sisters sharing my path, and how they have become the discovered jewels lighting my wandered steps;

· For Bentley’s unconditional friendship and love that has warmed me on the loneliest days & nights; kisses taking away the desert of tears; his ability to paint smiles on the torn canvas soul; companionship on the trails we share, never leaving my side no matter how long, steep, or winding;

· For each day I am given another chance to do it right;

· For each opportunity to spill my life into another life;

· For each step that draws me closer to the man God has invited me to become;

· For the pain of learning;

· For the chance to repent;

· For God’s forgiveness;

· For redemption;

· For the gift of seeing;

· For the gift of blindness;

· For the love I have to share;

· For the love I have received;

· For a chance at intimacy;

· For the grace I have not earned;

· For simply another chance to say…”Thank you.”

No comments: