Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Wednesday takeaways and questions

Wow. The initial response has been humbling. Thanks to each of you who have read and/or read and commented. I am finishing my day's work and will be back shortly to honor my commitment to write each Wednesday and Saturday. Be back shortly.

Messy Me

I am back. So, considering this is still very new to me, I thought I'd take this time to give you what my takeaways are from the responses I have received:
  • I am pleased and encouraged by some of the comments supporting the idea behind this process of sharing dialogue, moving to a final version of the book. (By the way, can someone tell me their opinion on the proper spelling for "dialogue" or "dialog". Both are correct, and a fellow cave dweller told me, "No, Brian. DIALOGUE is not the current way people use the word. " So, embracing that I might not be "in" most of the time these days, what is the group opinion please.)
  • I am reassured and affirmed that some people have already chosen to open up as far as their own life struggles. I will continue to offer safety and hope this will be a safe home for your heart.
  • OK...I hear and receive all the comments about less self-berating. Here's the deal. That's what I felt when I was deep in the mud. It was how I felt. And, having come through to this next part of the wanderings, I must be truthful in saying I never want to believe I have it figured out or that I can do this alone. Doing it alone was the backpack of boulders I carried most of my life. I know now that I did it to protect myself from everything and everyone that might hurt me --- it also effectively isolated me from everything and everyone that might help me.
  • It feels like people are willing to lean into all the emotions that lay ahead in the chapters that follow.
So, here's the questions I ask for your thoughts, as this is "our" blog and as such I want it to be the best version it can be:
  1. Do you like the idea of my answering as many, if not all the comments?
  2. Do you like the questions I added at the end of each?
  3. Do you think my plan of adding another segment of the book each Saturday is a good idea?
  4. I am hoping to keep each post about this length, seeking to keep them short enough that people will actually read them. Good length.
That's it for now. Let me know your opinions, and feel free to offer any others you feel would be of value to this experience.

Living the ink -- BK

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Read a quote today that made me think about you, "We are healed of suffering only by experiencing it to the fullest." Marcel Proust (1913) What does this have to do with your most recent questions? Nothing. But it felt like an encapsulation of INbetween. Keep on healing my friend.

Brian Kagan said...

DJ: Thanks! How many people do you feel would honestly claim the idea of having experienced the suffering to heal "to the fullest."

Any takers??

BInk

madjon said...

Personally, I use "dialogue" for interpersonal interactions and "dialog" for computer interactions. Mostly because those boxes that pop up on your screen ("Save? Yes? No? Cancel?") are called "dialog boxes" in programming, so I have a divide in mind between the two.

Also, if your readership takes off answering every question will probably be quite time consuming, you may need to pick and choose for self-sanity (and you know I've helped author a blog with *very* high readership for awhile!)

melissa said...

Ah, a good grammar challenge. I say the opposite of what you say in your blog post, Brian. I have said that DIALOGUE is the way to go, since it is considered the preferred spelling, as dialog is the lesser known spelling (yet acceptable - even though I act as if it is not). madjon's comment about dialog boxes though is quite interesting and a good point. But still, I also vote for dialogue as opposed to dialog (and I believe that you actually use the latter most frequently) ...

madjon said...

@Melissa:

I don't think most people are aware of the tech context yet, but are likely to be in the future. Especially as help manuals, instructions, etc., use "dialog" in that context.

Example from MS Word:
"Inserts information about the active document or template as recorded in the Properties dialog box (File menu)."

Like so many words already, I suspect the words will slip into our language with different uses thanks to the "technological revolution."

Brian Kagan said...

Aha, the game is afoot...or would that be a foot?

Good volley on the dialogue/dialog quandary. Here's a comment from a literature lover and someone who loves the art of words and the way they impact the art of our lives: we risk as a culture that has been largely trending towards dehuamization through technology. We want everything quicker, faster, shorter. We are more and more looking for shorter ways to do...everything. We are abbreviating words, thoughts and feelings -- lol, cul8r, etc. Makes me wonder if we are not subconsciously abbreviating life, feelings, sharing, intimacy....

tyhi :)

madjon said...

Man, I didn't understand half of that. I would suggest that while emotions, intimacy, etc. can be addressed in this digital age -- even with abbr's -- there still is nothing like face to face.

Couple of things that stand in the way of that statement however. First, the ReachTJ blog. That seemed to hit home pretty hard for 10,000-20,000 people. I haven't met most of them (obviously) but as I do I am almost always told they feel like they know me. And they do in a real, if not complete sense. A lot went down during that month, and a lot was beared (sp?). It was undoubtedly one of the most defining moments of my life, my family's life, and thousands of people watched in realtime. Which leads up to my second point...

Why are you publishing this if not to share some pretty deep and intimate stuff? These posts aren't "just" lessons about life/marriage etc. They are posts about BK's heart, his personal relationship with God. By the end there are going to be a lot of people that know you (again, in a real sense, if not complete), even if you don't know them. You and I have only met two or three times, but now I am "meeting" you twice a week, discussing (literally, when it comes to comments) some of the most important, intimate, secret, emotional, deep, dangerous, and exciting part of life.

In such a context, words and abbreviations matter only how well they communicate. And sometimes abbreviations work just as well (better occasionally, especially to express lighter emotions.)

-mj

(Guess I am chatty today!)